Anderson Issues

Commentary on the Zeitgeist

Why Don’t Americans Vaccinate Their Children?

Posted by fearlessfishtank on September 24, 2012

Although

vaccinations against life-threatening diseases are one of the greatest public health achievements in history,

many parents choose not to get their children vaccinated. This is a moronic decision in my eyes. Vaccines have only helped improve lives. Despite what you may have heard about vaccines having a link to autism, this is false. People have suffered and suffered with these awful diseases. Now people want to suffer? This makes no sense whatsoever. Vaccines were made to help people. The risk of side affects are very small. My doctor even said that parents have chicken pox parties so their children can have chicken pox. At the parties the children lick infected lollipops that their parents have received in the mail. Terrorists could possibly even contaminate those lollipops with Ebola. Now wouldn’t that be fabulous?

Image

This little boy has the measles

An increasing number of parents, according to a recent report, are opting out of vaccinations. This is based on nothing more than an easy opportunity to opt out. Washington state has had a particularly high rate, with 13 percent of children not getting vaccinated.

In the case of pertussis, commonly known as whooping cough, the general population needs to be vaccinated to protect infants who are not old enough to get the vaccination. Pertussis can kill infants and has. Vaccines are a public health concern as well as an individual concern. This called herd or community immunity.

Adults should also consider they are vulnerable to pertussis. Having their children vaccinated protects them from pertussis. The pertussis vaccine does not protect people throughout life.

In conclusion, get your and your children’s vaccinations.

8 Responses to “Why Don’t Americans Vaccinate Their Children?”

1. soccerchick3 said

I cannot believe people actually against getting something for their children that could potentially save them from possible health decline and even death! There is a religion I know called scientology where people do not believe in not only vaccinations for their children but also modern medical care, which could in the end result in significant harm in their child. How can a parent watch their children contract a disease that could have been prevented take over their child and eat away at their health? Why wouldn’t they do something about it? With all of the opprotunities we have now to save people from fatal diseases, there is really no reason NOT to get your child vaccinated. Anyone who does not get their children the proper care they need will ultimately be responsible for their children’s demise.

2. redfish001 said

I also think it’s ridiculous not to get your child vaccinated. Especially in America, where we are able to (for the most part) get the vaccinations easily. There isn’t an excuse not to vaccinate your child. Also, the chicken pox parties are stupid. Why would you have a party so your kid gets the chicken pox? Even if you don’t want to get the medicine to prevent the disease, there isn’t a reason to unnecessarily expose your child to it.

• oblama said

You have your child go to a chicken pox party so they can get the chicken pox when they’re young so they have immunity later in life. If you catch the chicken pox as an adult it can be much more serious, even fatal.

3. kitefest said

Though I understand the reasoning behind a chicken pox party, that just sounds like a sick joke for a parent to play on their kid. I mean they go in expecting candy and a good time and then they wake up the next morning covered in an itch they can’t escape. I think if that happened to me and I was old enough to remember it later, I would just resent my parents and probably have a psychological aversion to lollipops. On the whole though, vaccinations are just necessary for healthy living. In fact, I thought you couldn’t even enroll in public school without proof of vaccinations. Maybe not, but I agree with you, it’s silly to opt out of a possibly life saving vaccine just because it’s a slight inconvenience.

4. cookieseller1000 said

Our goverment guarantees an individual the right to make their own choices. I myself will vaccinate my child, but perhaps not in the time frame that doctors reccomend. I feel that it is my duty as a member of society. All children are not the same and all vaccinations are not the same. I hope parents make an informed decision concerning vaccinations. I was friends with a family who do not give their children all their vaccinations. They have a website: http://vaccineinfo.net/

5. Getting your kid vaccinated is probably the best thing for the child. I would get my child vaccinated when my doctor recommends it. They did go to school for a few years, so they may know a thing or two.

6. learn more information on nike free run black visit http://nikefreerun.byndconf.com/

7. Danial said

I’m amazed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s both educative and engaging, and let mee tell you, you’ve
    hit the nail on thee head. The problem is an issue that not enough folks are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very hhappy I found thiss durikng my hhnt for somesthing regarding this.