Anderson Issues

Commentary on the Zeitgeist

Dying your pets: Totally cool or just plain cruel?

Posted by cr0uchingtiger on October 30, 2011

Attention weird trend lovers! There’s a new sensation that’s sweeping across the Asian nation! And it’s dying your pet’s fur! The newest and most popular pet craze taking place in China, Japan, and other Asian nations is coloring your dog’s fur, from as simple as one color to as complex as wild animal patterns, such as tigers, pandas, and zebras. OH MY!

Look at how majestic! It’s the year of the tiger in China, so the tiger stripes dying trend is very popular right now.

Here’s a fun little article about the new craze in Asia, with some more adorable pictures. http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/22/chinas-latest-craze-dyeing-pets-to-look-like-other-wild-animals/

While this does seem very cute and fun, the question of ethics must be considered. Is it safe to be frivolously exposing our beloved pets to harsh and dangerous chemicals such a hair dye? Is it animal cruelty? The answer is no, as long is it done safely.

It is true that many hair dye products contain harmful toxins and chemicals, such as ammonia and several carcinogens. Using hair dye made for humans could potentially be dangerous if placed upon a dog’s skin, as well as if a dog were to consume some by licking it’s fur. Also, you should avoid dying any type of rodent or small animal. The Daily Puppy (Why does this source title make me laugh) posted an article on dying pet’s hair, and stated that “Small animals such as hamsters and exotic animals such as chinchillas shouldn’t be dyed, because applying many types of colorant requires rinsing. Water exposure can make pet rodents ill, and in the case of chinchillas, ruin their fur. Any other negative effects of dyeing small animals haven’t been studied, so it is best to stick to larger pets such as dogs and cats.” So basically, do not attempt to dye very small animals. (There goes my friday night plans).

The Daily Puppy Article:

Another article from the global post (link is included later in article)  says that “Owners should seek pet spas that use natural coloring which won’t damage the dog’s hair or irritate the skin,” said Tian Haiyan, who works at the Beijing Guanshang Animal hospital. “Mentally, some dogs that aren’t used to being in the spotlight may react negatively to the sudden attention.” So, if your  dog is not usually very social or has tendencies of lashing out/ violence, you should probably think twice before you dye it.

However, there are safe methods in which you can dye your pet’s hair. They are and tips on how to dye your pets.

“Chinese-domesticated animal relations have come a long way since the days of cooking and eating canines. Now instead of eating dogs, people are entering them in competitions, such as the dog dyeing competition at Pets Show Taipei.” -Weird Asia News

Here’s a cute little article about a professional pet dyer, Sun Ruowen, who owns her own animal dying salon.  http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2010/06/china-panda-dog-dye.html It says that the owner’s pet dying treatments cost from a range of $7 to $300 based on the long-lasting quality of the dyes and the amount of the dog’s fur that is dyed. The average doggie-makover lasts about 6 months.

So, I’m not quite technologically advanced enough to know how to insert this as a video, but here is a video of some dogs being dyed in Japan! My personal favorite is the turtle, hahahaha.

I’m very glad to see China developing and becoming more open-minded in their culture, as a nation who once frowned upon even owning pets now fully supports and advertises being good pet owners, and treating your dog or cat like family.What are your thoughts? Do you think that dying animals is considered animal cruelty? Do you find these dogs as adorable as I do? Lemme know.

10 Responses to “Dying your pets: Totally cool or just plain cruel?”

1. thelazysombrero said

As cute as these little pooches are, I think it’s still rediculous. It’s expensive and dangerous for the pets so I would say its extremely unnecessary. I thought it was one of those photoshop apps with the funny pictures at first-that couldn’t possibly be real could it?!? Well it is, and that’s pretty funny. I don’t strongly support either side, but all I know is that I wouldn’t pay $300 for dog-dying and my dogs are cute as hell.

2. highlighter said

I like the fact that you can turn your dog into a tiger but i think it is kind of pointless. What yould you do with a dog that looks like a tiger anyways? like the lazysombrero said why waste $300 to make you dog look any different, unless you got your money back.

3. dupid2 said

even though these pictures are quite entertaining i also find it pointless and depressing, what does the dog think? he probabbly hates it aswell if this is dangerous to their health there is no reason to why this should be getting done. i really hope that this craze doesnt spread to the united states or any other country for that matter.

4. awall621 said

I love this idea. In fact, I think every dog should be dyed a different stylistic color. We’d have so many fabulous dogs running around with beautiful colors and designs, and it’d be easy to tell dogs apart. I know I have trouble doing that. I’m arranging for my dogs to get a fabulous design from Pet Co. right now, I’m thinking rainbows and stripes. Any objections?

5. backpack said

As cute as some of these pictures are, I think its wrong to expose pets to these harsh chemicals. Even if the chemicals are supposedly “safe” I don’t think it’s okay to force pets to go through the long and pointless process of dying their hair. I think its similar to torturing your pet. Just plain wrong.

6. stupid as hell. If you’re unlucky and have an ugly pet, you just have to deal with it. don’t try to make your pet cuter by dying them cause i don’t know if you didn’t know, but animals can’t talk. they can’t tell you if they like it or not and they probably don’t. I know I wouldn’t like getting my hair dyed orange. Lucky enough for me, my dog is adorable so I don’t have to falsely inhance her beauty.

7. hypermusic05 said

I think it’s hilarious that some people do it, and i definitely am not opposed to it. I feel like as long as the animals aren’t being put in danger and it’s somewhat creative, go for it. It’s really no different than us dying our hair. If you can paint your car you should be allowed to dye your pet.

8. therealbanksy said

Being a big animal lover (especially cats), as long as the dye contains no harsh chemicals or doesn’t put the animal in danger in any way, I don’t see the big problem. I don’t think it should be something that should cost $300 (cause that’s just a ridiculous amount of money) but it definitely shows a new creative trend throughout the world. If the animal becomes uncomfortable or ill at any time, though, the dye should immediately be washed off and never used again. But if it’s for pictures or a holiday or just something cute like that, I wouldn’t mind seeing an adorable dog or cat in a cool dye pattern. I’m glad you informed me in saying that smaller animals are more inclined to become ill or hurt from the dye, or else I would have said go for it for all animals. If the animals aren’t in danger and the dye doesn’t contain chemicals, dying isn’t that big of a deal.

9. h2pr0 said

Well as cool as it might be to have a dog that looks like a tiger. I think that dying your pets fur is pretty unnecessary and a waist of money. I’m not against it because if its your thing and you have the money, go ahead. If it really is harmless than I think anyone should be able to do it i just personally think it is a waist of time and money.

10. abcde said

whether it’s wrong or not is debatable, but in my opinion i wouldn’t do this to my pets. its not natrual and the pet doesnt have a choice in the matter. even if the inks are safe, the money used to pay for the dye job could be better spent on something not as superficial as a make over for your dog. Dogs should stay the way they are and recive the traditional hair stlyle that their bread usally gets.